Website security is a top concern for site owners and visitors alike. If your site isn’t secure, people won’t feel safe browsing, purchasing, making clicks, or entering any information on your pages.
Furthermore, search engines like Google penalize websites that aren’t secure.
How can you improve site security and privacy on your website? At a minimum, you need to have an SSL certificate.
SSL stands for “secure sockets layer.” This is a protocol to encrypt the links between servers and web browsers. With an SSL, visitors see “HTTPS” preceding your domain when they land on your site (as opposed to HTTP, without the “s”). SSLs ensure that the site is encrypted, authentic and that a third party has not altered the pages in transit from the server to the web browser.
In short, an SSL certificate not only makes your site more trustworthy but also improves security and privacy.
The Top 6 Best Free SSL Certificates
- Bluehost — Best Web Hosting Provider with a Free SSL Certificate
- Wix — Best Website Builder with a Free SSL Certificate
- GoDaddy — Best Free and Paid SSL Certificates
- Let’s Encrypt — Most Popular Free SSL
- SSL For Free — Best For Free 90-Day Certificates
- GoGetSSL — Best Free SSL For Fast Verification
There are dozens of ways to get an SSL certificate online—some free and some paid. After extensive research and testing, we’ve narrowed down the top six free SSL certificates available on the web today.